Business License

Starting a business in the City of Victorville is a 3-step process. You need:

  1. Verification of appropriate zoning,
  2. A business license, and
  3. A Certificate of Occupancy for commercial-zoned property
    or a Home Occupation permit for home-based businesses.

Step 1: Make Sure You Have Appropriate Zoning 
Before beginning the process, it is helpful to make sure that the type of business you are starting is compatible with the existing zoning for your proposed site. For example, an industrial facility in a commercial zone may not be permitted.
To check the zoning you need the property's Assessor’s Parcel Number before contacting the City’s Planning Division at 760.955.5135.

Step 2: Obtain Your Business License
Anyone conducting business within Victorville city limits must have a business license. Business license fees vary according to the type of business. To apply for a license or make inquiries about the business license process you may contact the Business License Division at (760) 955-5072, or by email at If a Certificate of Occupancy is required, it must be issued before the business license.

Step 3 Certificate of Occupancy
(for retail, commercial, and restaurant businesses only)

The application for a Certificate of Occupancy comes from the City’s Development Department, along with a form required by the Mojave Desert Air Quality Management District.  For more information, contact the Development Department at: 760.955.5100.

Step 3 Home Occupation Permits (Permit Home-based businesses only)
You must obtain a home-occupation application package from the Planning Division.

Step 4 Signs - Do not order signs for your business before contacting the Planning Division.
For more information, contact the Planning Division at 760.955.5135.

Downloadable Information Application Packages and Forms

All forms and information packages contain all the necessary forms for that specific license, and are in Adobe Acrobat format.You can download the free Acrobat Reader from




*In-City Businesses are businesses located within City Limits.

*Out-of-City Businesses are businesses located outside City Limits but are doing business within City Limits.

Useful Phone Numbers

Alcoholic Beverage Control Board

(951) 782-4400

Building Division

(760) 955-5100
Fax (760) 269-0072

Business License Division

(760) 955-5072
Fax (760) 269-0046

Fire Department

(760) 955-5227

Mojave Desert Air Quality Management

(760) 245-1661

Planning Division

(760) 955-5135

Police Department

(760) 241-2911

San Bernardino County Environmental Health

(760) 995-8148

Sanitation Department

(760) 955-5087

State Board of Equalization

(909) 680-6400
Toll Free:
(800) 400-7115

State Contractor's License Board

(800) 321-2752

Victorville Chamber of Commerce

(760) 245-6506

Useful Web Sites

Consumer Affairs :

Contractor's License Board:

Board of Equalization:

Fictitious Business Names:

California Business Search:

Also of Interest...